“We understand how storms are created. We map solar systems and transplant hearts. We measure the depths of the oceans and send signals to distant planets. We ... have studied the system and are learning how it works.
And for some reason, the loss of mystery has led to the loss of majesty. The more we know, the less we believe. Strange, don't you think? Knowledge shouldn't negate wonder. Knowledge should stir wonder. Who has more reason to worship than the astronomer who has seen the stars? …
Ironically, the more we know, the less we worship. We are more impressed with our discovery of the light switch than with the one who invented electricity... Rather than worship the Creator, we worship the creation. No wonder there is no wonder. We’ve figured it all out.” –Max Lucado (In the Grip of Grace)
"They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen." Romans 1:25
Goodness. Is it so easy to slip into this? Why is it so easy to look at the stars and think, Wow! They’re so beautiful! And forget to think, God, you’re freaking amazing! Look at what you did! Instead, we wonder at the stars themselves. We wonder at the magnificence of the universe, the beauty of a sunset, the vastness of the world, the depth of the sea, and stop there. I've been completely guilty of this.
South Africa has the most picturesque skies. I know that may not make any sense. After all, we all live under the same sky. But never have I seen more beautiful sunrises, sunsets, cloud formations, thunder storms than when I was there. It was mind blowing. The sky demanded your attention with its vibrant colors, with its impending storms, with its pure beauty.
How could I stare at the sky so many times and say, "It is SO beautiful out today"? How could I forget that all of that magnificence, all of that commanding beauty was created by something? By someone? And not just anyone, but by Someone that I'd met and spoken to so many times.
I've gone to museums and seen beautiful works of art and "oo-ed" and "ah-ed" at their intricacies and strokes forgetting that a human painted them. The paintings, the drawings, the photos were formed by a human being. That had an originator. Someone sat thinking one day and decided to paint. And voila! A work of art was born.
God has given us so much beauty to appreciate. It's fall, people. The world is bursting with vibrancy and slashes of oranges and reds, with the fresh scent of the wind blowing through the trees, reminding us that winter will soon be here, that Thanksgiving is right around the corner. God made us asthetic beings. We appreciate beautiful things.
But please don't forget today that Someone made all of it--the trees, the flowers, the deer, the squirrels, the sun, the rain. He made it for His glory. Open up your eyes and see what the Lord has done for His people today! The sun is shining! The air is fresh. You're alive! Praise the Sovereign One today.
He is worthy.
[Ps- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/awful ]
Psalm 57:8-11 (ESV)
8 Awake, my glory!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn!
9I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
10For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds.
11Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let your glory be over all the earth!
I hear ya, kiddo... God is constantly showing me beautiful things that remind me of how great He is... and yet I still feel I don't acknowledge Him as often as I ought to.
ReplyDeleteHe's just so amazing... and still we somehow manage to forget it from time to time...