21 November 2011

Heroism like Fatherhood

Dictionary.com defines a hero as "a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds or noble qualities".  Growing up, kids are often asked, "What do you want to be when you get older?" or "Who is your hero?"  Sometimes, you get answers like fireman, policeman, superman, etc.  Men that by almost any standard are heroes--real or fictional.

Every now and then, there is an answer that melts hearts and elicits an "aw" from the question asker.  "My dad."  It's not a common response, but when it is, I immediately am proud for that dad.  It was never my answer when I was a child because I wanted to be a veterinarian and my hero was Esther from the Bible.  (I am a girl, after all.)

I am now just shy of 22-years-old and if anyone for whatever reason were to ask me who my hero is, my answer would most certainly be my father.  I am not going to get emotional, but even as I type that, I'm getting misty-eyed.  If you knew him at all, you would understand why.  The older I get, the more appreciation I have for the sacrifices he has made, the hours he has spent practically working himself to death to provide for our family.

Right now, we are in the process of opening an Italian restaurant.  Opening is Black Friday and the stress is apparent on all the management staff's faces.  This is the only thing I am doing right now--helping my dad get this restaurant on its feet.  My dad is not only trying to make this dream come to fruition, but he is also busy running an accounting firm with his partner and trying to get organized after just absorbing another company.  After leaving the house close to 6:30 in the morning, he will return sometimes as late as 9:30 at night, maybe later.  Upon his arrival, he is expected to be a loving husband and doting father.

Someday, I will write something like this accrediting my mother being that she is Wonder Woman.  However, I have told many people that we are partnering with as well as most of our employees that my dad is Superman.  Is he really? Of course not.  Is he to me?  Every day.

I have never seen one person handle SO many things with the ability he has.  I am so incredibly proud to be so much like him in speech, action, and even physical appearance.  In my opinion, which is definitely bias, but accurate nonetheless, a man as noble and brave and courageous as my dad has never lived.  He is taking on what some people think is crazy and is challenging himself in the face of much opposition.  Trying to get this restaurant on its feet, we have experienced challenge after challenge, hurdle after hurdle and he has stared them all down and refused defeat.

He has treated me with respect and love throughout this entire process and is always asking me how I'm handling everything, thanking me profusely for all my help.  Say or think what you will, but my dad will always be my #1 hero in my life.  I have learned more from him than I have from any other man and possibly any other human being be it practical or spiritual.

He has shown me how to love people who are NOTHING like our personality (hard, straight-shooters, tending to be less than sensitive).  My mom and him are as opposite as opposite can be, but I have watched him love her and dote on her and communicate with her.  In turn, it has shown me how to love and communicate with my younger sister who is very similar to my mother.  My younger sister is my best friend and probably one of the most amazing young ladies you will ever meet. And that is not a bias opinion. Ask anyone who knows her.  She is the best of the best.

All this to say, I want to honor my father in front of the entire world.  The best way to do that nowadays is put this where people can view it for generations to come. I've been told once something is on the internet, it's there forever.  Let's hope so.  Because great names have been printed in history books that we've been reading about or hearing about for hundreds of years.  Whether or not his name is added to these books is inconsequential to me.  My dad may not have dumped tea into a harbor, or led a rebellion against our fatherland, or gone on a hunger strike, or freed slaves.  He may not have changed the world, but he has changed mine.  And in my book, that's pretty dang heroic.

No comments:

Post a Comment