I was thinking about women in the Bible this past weekend. I thought on Mary, the mother of Christ, Esther, Ruth; all these women of power, women of strength, women of virtue and conviction. All these women changed history. The more I thought about them the more I realized that I have very little in common with any of them. Sure, I've been called an "Esther" before (whatever that means), but I believe that is merely because people in my life could see me marching into the throne room, ready to risk my life for a nation. And perhaps that is true, but what is more true is that I lack what most of these women had. I lack what God saw in Mary, the favored one.
These women are like my Leah. They had mastered that quiet, gentle spirit as has she. They had lived their lives faithful to the One they loved. Women like Leah deserve to stand in front of multitudes and preach the gospel and have it heard. Women like my darling sister have the right to offer the nations a man such as Jesus, because they are blameless, righteous, lovely. They exemplify the Bride of Christ on her wedding day--clothed in white, elegant, and gracious.
Women like Rahab, Mary Magdelene, and Gomer... Women like me, though integral to the story, important to the tale of redemption... We don't change history. We don't rewrite it.
We can't stand in front of a multitude and ask them to trust us, to trust what we're saying because we have lied, we have manipulated, we have deceived with a sinful grin. We have been redeemed, we have been saved, but at a price and at a cost.
I guess what I'm thinking, not necessarily what I believe, but what I'm battling with is the thought that maybe you were right. Maybe people don't change. Maybe my tale will always be one of 10 steps forward, 2 steps back. But those two steps sometimes feel like you've tumbled all the way down the mountain. And sometimes when you've added in the consequences of those two steps, you may as well have tumbled all the way back down the mountain.
And you just get to the point where you look up at the mountain from the dirt and you can't help but feel like maybe you should just stop trying. Maybe you will never be "righteous" because that part of your life has already passed you by. You sold yourself once for a dollar because you just couldn't wait for the millions. And now, you don't even have that dollar.
You're left with haunting memories, painful regrets, and worse: the notion that you'll never be loved again and possibly that you've never been loved at all.
....
God, I can't fathom your grace. Help me.
Satan, you suck.
Pride, you're a bastard.
And Anna... Sweet Anna, you are loved. Dearly and preciously. World changer or not, you are loved.
I suppose it would be superfluous for me to say how untrue and so out of place it is for you to put yourself in the category you did. LeLe is not perfect, but she is an example of grace. As are you. Grace got Mary into the story as well as Rahab, and they are ALL listed in the genealogy of Christ. I will stop now lest I insult your intelligence and my own. ;-) <3
ReplyDeleteAnna, sweetheart...
ReplyDeleteYou need to realize that everyone you've placed on that pedestal probably has felt the way you're feeling! Furthermore, this notion of perfection that you're putting forth is unattainable by human means. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. ALL. Not just you.
So when I read this I find myself agreeing with little more than this line: "God, I can't fathom your grace. Help me." Because if you DID fathom it, you'd know that haunting memories to Him are forgotten, and painful regrets to Him are forgiven. You've always been loved, and you will ALWAYS BE LOVED. He promises it. Please try not to forget it.
You're a lovely woman of God. Don't let yourself be convinced of less. take hold of His promises.
There are so many things I want to say to you after reading this Anna. We really need to talk sometime. If you want to talk about "blowing it", I have blown it way more than you ever will. And yet, God's grace and redemption has been so real in my life. Boy does God have amazing things in store for you!
ReplyDelete