06 May 2011

Modern Miracles in White Envelopes

It's odd how we can forget so easily that miracles are happening all around us. I suppose it depends on how you define "miracle". Although one definition is "an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause", I'm going to go with the much simpler "a wonder; marvel" (dictionary.com).

There are supernatural, inexplicable events occurring all around the world at this very moment, but there are so many more wonders and marvels.

I was budgeting for the next three weeks, all the while feeling the pressure of trying to save for a car and trying to also set aside money for a wedding I'm going to in Oklahoma at the beginning of June (the wedding is non-negotiable because it's my friend from South Africa). I realized the more I looked at my bank account, the less likely it was going to be that I'm going to be able to do all that I need to do in the next three weeks with the amount of cash that I have. My heart and spirit sank. "There's no way I can manage all of this," I thought. "God, I can't afford all of this."

It was just after work and I was sitting at one of the booths with two co-workers and a third who hadn't worked that day joined us. After calculating further expenses, the first two departed, leaving me and my one guy friend to just chat. I expressed my concern and he empathized, telling me that not too long ago, he had felt the same pressure.

Finally, the afternoon was drawing to a close and I had more things I needed to do, so we both took our leave from the booth. As he was gathering his things, I noticed a white envelope on the table and asked him if it was his. He shrugged his shoulders and said that it was not. I was extremely confused because I knew it didn't belong to either of my other two friends and it certainly wasn't mine. So he left and another friend of mine briefly joined me before she left for home.

Curious as to find out the owner of the white envelope, I opened it. Inside was a note addressed to me. What I read instantly brought tears to my eyes and much to my dismay, I began to cry in the middle of Chick-Fil-A in front of my friend.

"Hey, Anna, I'm sorry this couldn't be more, but I do you want you to have this at least. My boss slipped me some extra hours because he's a great guy and my paycheck from Chick was a lot more than I expected so if I got blessed, why not pass it along? I love ya, bud. Hope this helps in a small way."

I fled to my to car to praise and cry in solitude. It was enough to cover my gas for the next 10 days or so and that it a far bigger blessing than anyone can imagine being my drive to work is far and I have to put Premium in the Prelude.

As the day wore on, I realized that miracles do happen for me and that they come in the form of more than missing limbs appearing and the dead being raised. They appear in white envelopes, in the warm smile of a stranger, the hug of a dear friend. I realized that these "miracles" are around me all the time and I just need to look for them.

I saw two sisters in South Side swinging around a porch beam joyfully, their peals of laughter filling the afternoon air. The cajoling and booming voices of some construction workers brought a grin to my face. And I couldn't help but guffaw when the truck in front of me contained a rock star in the making, head banging and all.

Of course, when someone cut me off less than five minutes later, the miracles quickly lost their luster and reality smacked me upside the head. It's all about perspective. I see what I want to see. Because no more than a few minutes from my road rage, I was lying on cool green grass, breathing in the scents of spring and gazing at a sky slashed with pinks, oranges, and reds.

God was in the envelope. He was in the little girls and the construction workers, and without a doubt, He was in the sunset. It's easy to be miserable and angry and bitter if all you remember from your day was the mean, old lady in drive thru, or the irrationally dissatisfied customer, or that jerk that cut you off, but if you seek out the miracles, you will certainly find them.

"For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
he is to be feared above all gods.
For all the gods of the nations are idols,
but the Lord made the heavens.
Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and glory are in his sanctuary."
-Psalm 96:4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment